(888) 704-6588
1312 Akron Drive, Nekoosa, WI 54457

Minutes: May 27, 2022

WTA Meeting
May 27, 2022
Zoom Meeting

The 05/27/22 Board of Director’s meeting of the Wisconsin Trapshooting Association was called to order at 9:08 am by Fritz Thistle, President.  Directors present were N/E Ken Michels and YZ Weisensel, N/W Keith Lehmann (zoom), S/W LaVerne Lehmann (zoom), S/E Tyler Buchanan, ATA Delegate Kevin Doerring (zoom), 1st Alt. Delegate Tyler Buchanan, 2nd Alt. Delegate Fritz Thistle, Executive Assistant/Shoot Coordinator Amy Jenkins.  Absent: N/W Aaron Katzenberg, S/E Bob Ebbers, Treasurer Taylor Katzenberg.

Also present were:  Glen Grabski, Chops, Gary Witzke, John Coniff, Tate Barwald

Meeting started at 9:08 am.

Treasurer’s Report:
Checking account $24,620, Camping $28,205, Savings $13,500 and a total of $129,000 available.  There has been $30,500 campground income.  Taylor reported that we lost money on the spring shoot.  We will need to look at the dates for next year.  All trophies are ordered for the state shoot.  The All-State Team trophies are paid for.  Raffle licenses are renewed.  She is working on the charitable organization renewal with the state.

Rhino made a motion to approve the Treasurer’s report.  Ken seconded.  So carried.

Secretary’s Report:
Amy gave an update that the campground is full for HSCTL and SCTP weekends.  She has a waiting list so if someone cancels, she fills from the waiting list.  State Shoot camping is full; however, she is in process of sending out confirmation emails so some cancelations have come in and she is filling open spots from the waiting list

Amy gave an update on the Allegro bus group that is coming right after the state shoot; currently they have 47 sites reserved and will be renting the building for the weekend.  Amy will ask if there is any interest in renting some golf carts that weekend (ones that the WTA owns).

Amy asked if we had an idea what kind of shells we will have available for sale for the state shoot.  Fritz said that we will have 3 dram shells for sale on the voucher system which is the same as last year.  Amy gave an update that pre-squad was crazy when it opened.  She opened up more squads multiple times in order for shooters to continue to be able to squad.

Friends of the WTA Update:
There is a balance of $30,393 in the Friends account with 3 checks outstanding for gravel, concrete and awnings, which will leave a balance of $25,955.  Discussion was held on the awning/covering for the front of the building and the new sign.  Glen said if he can get the plans, he can build it on his own.  Decision was made to do it on our own rather than hiring someone to do it.


TV/ / Responder / TV Antane
Kevin did not have an update.

Grants Update:
Fritz asked if we still want to apply for the DNR grant for a storage building and four traps.  This would be matching funds and we have to spend the money up front.  You cannot start the work until the grant is approved. Fritz has a pledge for another shelter.  Amy asked about getting Wi-Fi in the campground. Fritz will follow up and get an updated quote on this. The neighbor that just built across the street said that he has fiber into his property and has it through AT&T.  Fritz will contact them to see if we can get a quote.

The canopies for the scoring stations, paid for by the Friends of the WTA, are all installed and look great.  Amy will take a picture and we will add this as the front page of the annual meeting program.

Rome Pistol / Rifle Range:
Glen has no update.

Fritz reported that the brine will be completed on Monday or Tuesday before HSCTL weekend.  The price is almost the same as last year, but the fuel surcharge will be much higher due to fuel prices.


The brick is ordered and it is supposed to be delivered today; however, it has not arrived to Menard’s yet.  A load of rock was delivered this week as well.

State Shoot:
We will need water for the kids for all the shoots.  Tate and YZ asked about Kwik Trip and their grant program.  Amy had filled out the form a few years ago and never heard anything back.  YZ will call the KT in Rome and order a pallet of water and we will pick it up on June 8.  YZ said that KT is also willing to cook pizzas for us and bring them up in a warmer and sell them in the building by the slice.  YZ and Fritz are donating money for the doubles shoot out on Tuesday night in honor of Kyle Sacia.

PA System:
Ken talked to the company in Platteville and they didn’t want to travel this far.  There is a company in Rapids but they are not willing to commit as they have never done a project like ours before.  Ken tested the current system this morning and it was all working.  We will use it this year and attempt to get something figured out for next year.

Round Table

Fritz – Cheesemaker’s has 60 signed up and 30 on the waiting list.  They were told that we can accommodate all of them.  Brady Gross from South Dakota, who’s group is doing the lead reclamation visited the grounds.  We now have the signed contract.  He figures it will take about a month and a half.  We have the option to sell reclaimed shot and we will definitely plan to do this.  We would just need to tell him how much we want available to sell.  Fritz has a schedule for the SCTP weekend.  SCTP would like to use some of the fields for practice on Friday.  WTA workers will collect money at the trap and load the houses.  Practice rounds will be $6 per round.  Amy, Chops and YZ will take care of the practice for Friday of SCTP weekend.  KM had 479 shooters last weekend.

Asplunduh will be doing some tree work out on Hwy 13; Fritz has asked them not to do anything during our big shoot weekends.

Fritz talked to Welch Brothers about pricing for traps and delivery.

Visit Rome has created a flyer for us looking for workers for our shoots.  They have been doing so much great work for us.  Bruce Stitely and Fritz worked with a Visit Rome representative to provide some history of the WTA grounds for an article about trapshooting and the WTA for the Visit Rome website.  WTA has an advertisement in the May 20th edition of the Outdoor News and another one two weeks later.  Visit Rome donated $1250 towards advertising for the WTA.

Gary DeSmidt made up a two page set of rules for training purposes.

Jerry Pierce has some refurbished voice callers.  Fritz will make an offer on them.

YZ made a motion to offer $6000 for 6 sets of refurbished voice calleres.  Kevin seconded.  So carried.

Amy – HSCTL numbers are 714 shooters on Saturday and 941 shooters on Sunday.  Practice will be available on all traps from 7am to 740am both mornings.  Then practice will be on trap 18 all day.  Practice tickets will be sold in the building and tickets will need to be turned in at the traps that morning when they shoot.  Traps will be set Friday night and checked on Saturday morning.

Gary – We are at 89% for workers for the shoots this season.  Rome is helping us so we should be okay.

YZ – Made a suggestion to move the May shoot later than it was this year.  He is looking at long term and wants it to work for us. We can’t afford to lose money.  Kevin suggested not moving it to Memorial Day weekend.  Amy will add this to future agendas.  He asked if Fritz was going to still be accessible on some of these future projects after he steps down from his Presidency after the state shoot.  He thanked Fritz for all of the work that he has done over the past years.

Chops – He said the ad in Trap & Field looks awesome that Amy did.  He suggested feeding the WTA workers when everyone is here working.  He is opposed to the SCTP utilizing our building if they are not shooting targets here.  They will be shooting singles all three days that weekend.  Chops brought food for everyone to eat today.

Tate – Tate asked about the loan on the facility?  Fritz said it is a five year note and then we have the ability to negotiate and can move it if we want to after the five years.  Tate said the interest rates are going to be going up.  He stated that the overhang/awning should be tied into the landscaping and do it correct the first time and make it look great.  He suggested possibly adding some pillars to put the posts in and tie it all together.  He suggested getting the landscaping done and incorporate it all together.

The next meeting will be the Annual Meeting at the state shoot.

Rhino made a motion to adjourn.  Ken seconded.  So carried.

Meeting adjourned at 10:50.