(888) 704-6588
1312 Akron Drive, Nekoosa, WI 54457

Minutes: April 15, 2022

WTA Meeting
April 15, 2022
Zoom Meeting

The 04/15/22 Board of Director’s meeting of the Wisconsin Trapshooting Association was called to order at 9:00 am by Fritz Thistle, President.  Directors present were N/E Ken Michels (zoom) and YZ Weisensel, N/W Keith Lehmann (zoom), S/W LaVerne Lehmann (zoom), S/E Tyler Buchanan (zoom), ATA Delegate Kevin Doerring, 1st Alt. Delegate Tyler Buchanan, 2nd Alt. Delegate Fritz Thistle, Executive Assistant/Shoot Coordinator Amy Jenkins.  Absent: N/W Aaron Katzenberg, S/E Bob Ebbers, Treasurer Taylor Katzenberg.

Also present were:  Glen Grabski, Chops, Gary Witzke, Don Chrapla, Gary DeSmidt, John Coniff (zoom)

Meeting started at 9:00 am.

SCTP Schedule:
Gary DeSmidt was present to update the group. The handicap and doubles will be held at the Heart of Wisconsin.  They are expecting 1900-2000 athletes shooting singles.  They want to be able to keep the games and such available to the shooters at Homegrounds.  They are having discussions about leaving a couple of traps available for practice throughout the weekend.  SCTP and coaches made the decision to not have the singles registered this year. The decision was made in part due to the WTA increasing the price and not providing scorers.  YZ asked if this decision is year by year (moving some of the events to the Heart).  Gary said if the numbers keep going up, there would be no other option than to hold part of it at the Heart.  If the numbers go down, then they would determine if all events could be held at Homegrounds.  Gary said that the move to the Heart was due to the increase in price.

Fritz noted that the Minnesota DNR has approved to build a facility of 50 traps near Minneapolis.

DNR Grants:
Grant applications need to be in by September and no work will be done until 2023.  DNR will not fund a hall of fame building as they do not consider that an expansion item.  The Board agreed to apply for the grant.

Baraboo tent and awning are working on them.  Half the bill has been paid for.   They will be red and blue alternating down the line.

Visit Rome:
They donated $1000 for the pig roast at the state shoot.  They are also working on getting approval for 50% towards our sign out front.  They are considering paying for the sign and we will pay for the landscaping.  YZ’s contact did not get back to him for the landscaping project.  YZ thinks that we should do it on our own, but we will need some volunteers to help.  Cannot move forward until the sign is up.  Chops is looking for some large boulders as well.  He talked to Hoffman Trucking and pricing for rock is $600 for round rock and $500 for fractured.  John Coniff will check to see when the sign will be done.  He will be able to help with the landscaping and will bring his tractor to use as well.  May need Bob to locate wires as Digger’s Hotline will not locate for us as it is private property.

Dylan will service the bobcat this weekend.  He is still waiting for parts for the bogeys, etc.

Field Expansion:
Fritz would like to get at least 2 trapfields in.  YZ suggested adding four.  Fritz asked if Tyler could get up here to check it out.  We need to be concerned about the dirt work and not causing a dust bowl.

April 30 – we are 3 scorers short and 5 loaders short.  This is prom weekend for Nekoosa.

May 1 – full on scorers; 3 loaders short.

HSCTL – 11 loaders short

SCTP – 27 loaders short

State – 23 loaders short

We need help if anyone else is willing to volunteer to work some weekends.  Amy noted that MN is doing “adopt a trap” for their state shoot.  That person would be responsible for scoring and loading their trap for the entire week.  The club would pay a donation amount per trap.

PA System:
Ken talked to Visaplex multiple times and they stated the batteries will not charge fast enough in the morning if it is cloudy.  We could hook up power to them, but we will need to run electrical to all the speakers then.  The batteries will fully discharge at night and will not charge fast enough in the morning.  The one in the building also picks up noise in the building.  Amy gave Ken information that is used at the Stockdale Gun Club.  It looks like we should move forward on running wire and implementing a new system.  Ken will make some calls to get some pricing for the equipment and talking with Bob Ebbers about the electrical.  Rhino stated there is a place in Platteville that installs PA systems.

Beer License:
It has been approved for May 1 to October.  We still need more licensed bartenders.  Glen still needs a couple forms filled out by Aaron and Ken.  They have to be original signatures.

Ammo for State Shoot:
We will have 600 to 700 cases of ammo for sale at the state shoot that the WTA will be selling.  It will be similar to the process we used last year.  Uncertain what shells will be available but it sounds like it may be premium shells.

Fritz met with Jeff and Deb Goering this week.  They are very interested in hosting here.  They are from the area.  They will be in charge of maintaining the mowers and grounds and cleaning the shower houses.  They will be here on April 27th.  They have plans for the last part of June or first week of July so we will need to have someone cover that time period.

Target Prices:
Target prices have increased again; this time about $2/case.

WACO Flyers:
We are almost out so Fritz will order some more of them. The price is higher than before but Fritz will try to cut a deal.

The water was turned on yesterday and the lines were bleached.  They will be flushed today and campers will be able to use water later today.  Amy noted that she has long term campers coming in this weekend. They will be there until the state shoot.

Fritz noted that anyone WTA members that we willing to come work any shoots will be able to camp on the line for free.

Gary D. will post a message to have anyone that can come help load traps on Friday May 20 in preparation for the Kettle Moraine shoot.

State Shoot Program:
John and Amy have completed the state shoot program.  It is now published on the website.  Pre-squad will open at noon on May 1st as planned.

Friends Update:
Bank balance on April 11 was $39,144.38; Outstanding check – Oconomowoc Youth Trap team $300; Outstanding check – Apparel Art – $6290

Anticipated expenses in next 30-60 days:

  • Balance of payment to Baraboo Tent & Awning approx. $1820
  • Wooden Wisconsin/WTA sign $3350
  • Banners – inside $200
  • Installation of Wisconsin sign $500-800

The Kolar gun has been paid for the raffle.  The display case has been built and donated.

The youth gun raffle – Fabarm LS4 deluxe has been paid for.  Tickets (1500) have been ordered and will be available next weekend.  Anniversary T-shirts are printed and will be available next weekend.  Polo shirts for Friends volunteers have been made and donated.  Request authorization to purchase two concrete benches to be placed by new Wis/WTA sign.

YZ made a motion to approve purchasing two benches to go by the sign.  Rhino seconded.  So carried.  Friends is paying for this.

YZ made a motion to adjourn.  Rhino seconded.  So carried.

May 27th is the next meeting at Homegrounds.

Meeting adjourned at 9:52.