May 29, 2020
Teleconference due to COVID-19 Pandemic
The 05/29/20 teleconference Board of Director’s meeting of the Wisconsin Trapshooting Association was called to order at 10:02 am by Fritz Thistle, President. Directors present were N/E Don Chrapla and YZ Weisensel, N/W Keith Lehmann, S/W LaVerne Lehmann, ATA Delegate Kevin Doerring, 1st Alt. Delegate Dwight Paulin, 2nd Alt. Delegate Fritz Thistle, Treasurer Taylor Katzenberg, Executive Assistant/Shoot Coordinator Amy Jenkins. Absent was S/E Bob Ebbers and N/W Rich Johnson.
Also present on the call were:
Chops, Brian Giese
Meeting started at 10:02 am.
Zone Shoots – Amy updated the group on the zone shoots. Sauk and Langlade are canceled. Weston and Beaver Dam are still on. Fox Valley has contacted multiple board members about holding the shoot and the decision was made at a previous meeting that if a zone was canceled, the shoot would not move to a different club. Kevin has talked to Michelle Mueller about being able to run the zone shoots in conjunction with an event at the state shoot. It may take a little longer to do the results at the end of the day, especially if it is run on the last event of a day. Short discussion about some possible ways to run these at the state shoot. Kevin will continue to work with Michelle on how it will work. Don asked what we do with the zone elections. Kevin said this is a state decision. There is a vacancy right now due to Ron’s resignation in S/E zone. Kevin suggested Tyler Buchanan and Amy also added that Tyler has been very involved with the WTA in the past year and many probably don’t realize this. He has helped out at the state shoot for the past few years and helps set targets as well. Amy suggested Taylor get in touch with Bob Ebbers this afternoon to ask him if he wanted to recommend Tyler to fill the S/E vacant zone position.
Bob contacted Amy and recommended Tyler to fill the vacant S/E zone.
Rhino made a motion to have Tyler fill the vacant S/E zone vacancy. Kevin seconded. So carried.
Don made a motion to extend zone elections for one year due to extenuating circumstances. Laverne seconded. So carried.
Fritz assumes that everyone is on board to have the state shoot and all agreed. We have a lot of work to do if we are going to move forward with sanitizing and health safety. One person needs to coordinate this so everyone is not purchasing stuff on their own. Taylor will coordinate getting supplies. She knows she can get gloves and masks but it may be difficult to get wipes and sanitizer. Brian will be supplying the kids with gloves and masks and will invoice us. Chops said that there is a distillery by John Coniff that is advertising free sanitizer for donations towards the bottle. Chops will follow up and get back to Taylor.
Update: Chops talked to the distillery and he can get the sanitizer by the bottle. He will plan to get 6 gallons for the state shoot. He will make a donation when he picks them up.
It is being recommended to not hold any gatherings in the building. No banquets, fundraisers, etc. The rest will need to be canceled. Fritz suggested a short annual meeting to elect the delegate, however, Kevin said that we do not have to elect a delegate due to extenuating circumstances. Fritz said that we would hold the annual meeting outside very quickly. Amy suggested not having the picnic license and selling beer this year. Discussion was held and decision was made to not sell beer this year. Amy will talk to Paul Becker about the fish fry.
Update: Amy talked to Paul and him and Connie will coordinate to determine if it will be feasible to do the fish fry. He will get back to Amy when it gets closer.
On May 27, Brian received additional guidance regarding the youth and he quoted the letter “at this time the Department of Health Services recommends that all youth sporting events for this spring and summer be postponed or canceled due to the spread of COVID-19”. Brian is uncertain if he would be in violation of that recommendation if the kids were to work at the state shoot. If Brian does not have kids to work, we will need to rely on staff and shooters to help with scoring to make sure we can hold the state shoot. Brian said that he will move forward in full force and within two weeks he will have a better idea on what he can provide to us. Some Board members think we can proceed as is and we could run the shoot just relying on shooters to score and load. Taylor and Amy agreed that they weren’t sure that was possible. Dwight said they did that at Vandalia in the past.
Fritz suggested that for safety purposes we will get the pod for the trophies for this year to keep people out of the building. Fritz will talk to Sandy to tell her to get it ordered. We will put the pod on the east side of the building.
Kevin made a motion to approve getting a pod. Don seconded it. So carried.
SCTP – June 27/28 has been canceled. Mike Ciezski is attempting to organize a shoot for the kids on June 27 or 28. Fritz told Mike that it may be possible. We have typically have charged them $28/hundred. Fritz said if they would do their own scoring and we provided loaders that we could do it for $26/hundred. Brian thought that he could possibly pull it off by using students that have graduated. The WIAA has stated no events for the kids before June 30. The Board has agreed to allow SCTP to move forward with this shoot. Brian will work on getting loaders.
John King from Fond du Lac will be covering the state shoot this year.
No carts will be available for rent for August 14 for the SCTP shoot. Amy asked if we should reduce the number of carts available for the state shoot. She has about nine reserved right now. She asked Chops to check with the vendor to see how late we can change our numbers.
Update: Chops said the vendor is willing to work with us and would need about a week’s notice. He can haul 10 carts in a load.
Amy will talk with Glenn Hammerly to have him check with the food vendors to make sure we have enough. She will let him know that we will not need to order beer for this year.
Fritz asked Chops to get estimates on a storage building to add to the list of grants. Amy suggested that we need internet/wifi on our grounds.
Hwy Z/Hwy 13 Signs
Fritz got some paperwork to do signs on Hwy Z. Doesn’t have prices yet.
Fritz wants to put ads in for about $300 in local newspaper.
Originally they canceled, however, they would like to hold their event on Wed. Sept. 16.
No change from last year.
Company in South Dakota is now closed that we ordered benches from. Fritz found a place in Sussex that sells them but they are about $100 more than what we used to pay. He will be ordering a bench for Mike Bloesl.
Virgil Bomkamp contacted LaVerne about donations. Fritz is working on it and asked him to be patient as it will take him some time to get things put together.
Rhino made a motion to adjourn. Kevin seconded. So carried.
Meeting adjourned at 11:23 am.
Next meeting will be scheduled soon.