(888) 704-6588
1312 Akron Drive, Nekoosa, WI 54457

Teleconference Minutes: September 11, 2017

Teleconference Meeting on Sept. 11, 2017

The teleconference meeting of the Wisconsin Trapshooting Association Board of Directors, was called to order at 6:35 by Jerry Farnsworth, President. Directors present were, S/E Dan Horkan, N/W Tate Barwald and Phil Challoner, N/E Don Chrapla, S/W Laverne Lehmann, ATA Delegate Kevin Doerring, 1st Alt. Delegate Dwight Paulin, Treasurer Jim Kroeplien, Shoot Coordinator Amy Jenkins and Chops.  Absent was Josh Kroeplien, S/E Jerry Kaszynski and 2nd Alt. Delegate Fritz Thistle.  Friends of the WTA present were Paul Becker, John Coniff and Jeff Recob.

Meeting started at 6:35.

Dewey stated that the meeting was being held to talk about the building. Chops has done a wonderful job of running the contractors down and getting the bids and such.  Modern Pole is the winning bid.

Chops presented the information for the building. Building option #4 was chosen which is 50’ wide with a 12’ overhang and is 96’ long with 10’ sidewalls.  The base price was $60,138.  We have some options picked out which are:

  • 24” soffit around building under the outside which was $4874 (this is to keep birds out)
  • 12’ overhang was $1728
  • Roof insulation over the foam – 2” for noise factor and condensation for $4200.
  • Site dumpster is $262.
  • Wainscoting for two color building is $3 a lineal foot for 292 feet which is $876.
  • Concrete, after checking around, Weiler Concrete was chosen which is also who did the hoop building for $3.21 a square foot – 5952 square feet which is $19,105.

Total for the building is $91,183.92. The building will have wood post frame with posts stuck in the ground.  It will be a commercial building.  Anything over 12,000 square feet would need fire suppression; at 5952 square feet we would not need it.  Paul asked if being a commercial building if there would be the ability to build a kitchen in the future.  Chops will check tomorrow with the builders on the wood being fire retarded and the option of adding a kitchen in the future.

Laverne asked if anyone thought about in floor heat. Right now we are looking at going without heat.

The overhang is enclosed with steel. Jim asked if we added in pricing for an expandable truss.  Chops said it was not added in as we don’t know which way we may go in the future.  The truss can be added when an addition is added in the future.

Chops will be meeting with the builder tomorrow to finalize everything. The building info has to be sent in to the state and will take three weeks to a month to get approval from the state.  Chops did ask for a winter discount and they agreed to a 7% discount which is included above.   Poles will need to be set by December 1st.  Modern Pole will send everything in to the state for us.

Chops asked if he would be given the authority by the Board and the others to sign off on this tomorrow to approve the building. John asked if the BOD needs to delegate the authority to Chops in order to sign for starting the building.

Dan made a motion to authorize Chops to sign the contract to start the building. Don C. seconded it. So carried.

Dan made a motion to accept the bid from Modern Pole that Chops presented on Saturday with the amounts listed above with the addition of the wainscoting (total of $91, 138.92). Paul Becker seconded it as he is approving the funds from the Friends of the WTA to be used for the building.  This is subject to approval by the state.  So carried.

Paul commended Chops for taking the time and working with local builders. Jeff R. is happy with everything that has been provided from Chops, Fritz and others for the building.  Chops will be asked to pay for 10% down tomorrow which is $7000.  Chops is willing to write a personal check if he can be reimbursed.  John Coniff is willing to drive to release the funds, however, he suggested that we wire the money to the builder.  Dewey will also need to authorize the wire tomorrow.  Chops will get the information to the bank to complete the wire transfer to Modern Pole.

John suggested that we give Chops flexibility of $5000 if something comes up tomorrow that wasn’t discussed tonight. Chops said the he will call someone if something comes up tomorrow.

Paul made a motion to allow Chops a $5000 leeway for any unforeseen corrections if needed during the final meeting with the builders tomorrow. Phil seconded it.  So carried.

Dewey talked to John Denman about the doors and he will continue working on them and will donate them. Once the sizes are determined, Chops will get the rough openings to the builders.

Chops has two calls into the building inspector; however, Modern Pole told him that he will not want to meet with us until the plans are approved by the state. Dewey said we will need to know the occupancy capacity of the building, but isn’t sure who will approve this number.

Jim reminded everyone that once the materials are delivered on grounds, we will need to contact the insurance company to make sure the materials are insured.

Meeting adjourned at 7:14.

Next face-to-face meeting will be October 7th after shooting at the Fall Classic.